Get Your Trucking Permits


Some states require trucking companies to pay an additional weight distance travel fee. Before operating in any of these states, you must register. While it sounds intimidating to have to research which states require what, TBS is the simple choice to help you navigate through the process. Below is a quick cheat sheet. 


New Mexico

All motor carriers operating with a gross vehicle weight over 26,000 pounds must have a New Mexico weight distance tax account. When the account is opened, you must file quarterly in addition to your IFTA license.


All motor carriers operating with a combined weight of 60,000 pounds or more must have a Kentucky weight distance tax account. When the account is opened, quarterly reports must be filed in addition to your IFTA license. You are required to update your truck inventory list, which is verified through USDOT numbers.

New York

All motor carriers operating with a weight of 18,000 pounds must open a New York Highway Use Tax (HUT) account and register each vehicle that travels in New York. This permit is required in addition to your IFTA license.


Motor carriers operating with a gross weight over 26,000 pounds are required to have an Oregon Weight and Tax Identifier receipt. Once you post a $2,000 bond per truck, you can open an account and file monthly reports. There is no additional fuel tax fee to the mile tax.

Trucking Permit Services

There are several rules and regulations you have to follow to obtain and maintain a trucking permit. Instead of stressing over missed deadlines while balancing your duties as a business owner, let TBS help you grow your business and remain compliant.

BOC-3 Form/Process agents

A BOC stands for “blanket of coverage.” The FMCSA requires that you have a process agent in every state that you travel through or do business in. Your BOC-3 form includes the names and addresses of these agents.


Form 2290

The IRS imposes a Heavy Highway Vehicle Use tax on highway motor vehicles used during the applicable period with a taxable gross weight of 55,000 pounds or more. The taxable period runs from July 1 to June 30 of each year. Taxes are due August 31. If you purchase your vehicle after August 31, then you must pay your taxes within 60 days of purchase.


Federal employer
Identification number

You will need an EIN to file your required IRS Form 2290. It is a nine-digit number used by the IRS to identify taxpayers required to file business tax returns. This includes employers, corporations, partnerships, and other business entities.


Truckers fueling up before hitting the road again

International Fuel Tax Agreement

The International Fuel Tax Agreement is an agreement between 48 U.S. states and 10 Canadian provinces requiring interstate motor carriers to report how much fuel they use within the boundaries of a state and to pay fuel taxes based upon those reports.

You must have a place of business in your base state to register for the IFTA and operate in at least one of the IFTA areas.

Motor carriers must have an IFTA license if the motor vehicle:

  1. Is used, designed, or maintained for the transportation of persons or property and
  2. Has two axles and a gross vehicle weight or registered gross vehicle weight exceeding 26,000 pounds
  3. Has three or more axles regardless of weight
  4. Is used in combination when the combined weight exceeds 26,000 pounds



Companies that operate commercial vehicles transporting passengers or hauling cargo in interstate commerce must be registered with the FMCSA and must have a USDOT Number.

In addition to your MC#, many states require an intrastate authority if you pick up and deliver loads within the borders of one state. 

Contact TBS to find out which authority you need.

IRP registers fleets that travel in two or more member jurisdictions, including the 48 contiguous United States and 10 Canadian provinces.

The base jurisdiction collects the appropriate registration fees and distributes them to the other jurisdictions where the carrier is registered. IRP registration fees are determined by the type of operation requested (private, for-hire, or rental) and by:

  • The percentage of miles traveled in each member jurisdiction
  • The registered gross weight of each vehicle

Call TBS today for more information.

SCACs are required when conducting business with all U.S. Government agencies and many commercial shippers. Carriers who use the Uniform Intermodal Interchange Agreement (UIIA) are required to maintain a valid SCAC.

Call TBS today to learn more about how to obtain and maintain a Standard Carrier Alpha Code.

UCR is a new annual registration system for interstate motor carriers. Five categories of interstate transportation operations require UCR:

  • Operations with a USDOT number for interstate transportation
  • Operations with an MC or MX number from the FMCSA
  • Interstate brokers
  • Interstate leasing companies
  • Interstate freight forwarders

Contact TBS today to register for the Unified Carrier Registration.

The USDOT number is a unique identifier when collecting and monitoring a company’s safety information acquired during audits, compliance reviews, crash investigations, and inspections.

Register now for your USDOT Number.

Receive quarterly fuel tax reporting when you choose TBS. This includes completing your IFTA, a breakdown of the fuel tax cost per truck, Kentucky, New Mexico, New York, and Oregon reports.